Walk into the woods.

Keep walking. Walk off tracks. Do not plan where you are going. Take whatever directions appeal in the moment. Keep walking. When, without realizing you are lost, its then your adventure begins.

Monday, July 26, 2010

The Great Wall.


Recently will all of the monsoon rains it has been hard to get out as much as I would like. It has been raining on most afternoons and when it doesnt rain it is usually wet from the days before. So my over all motivation level and psyche has been a little low. I have found it hard to be excited to head out to new climbs and risk weather coming in just after finishing warming up. I have also just been a little unmotivated to be working on the "same old" local projects. I have really needed something new and big.

I have heard some of my climbing partners talk about "The Great Wall"...

Single tallest climbed wall found in Sedona...
Perfect and bullet sandstone...
and a beautiful location...

I have also always wanted to go and climb at The Great Wall so with an invitation from a friend I was definitely in.

We wanted to try and get on the trail early so that we could use up as much morning shade as possible. The hike in is not very far (maybe 1.5 miles) as the crow flies but the terrain in the area makes it challenging. It is steep and the trail is a little overgrown and nonexistent. Even though all approaches in Sedona are usually exciting and hard, this one was an exception. Luckily we did get most of the approach done with the cool morning light.

"Second Base Camp"and hot!

Approaching such a big wall in the area is really amazing. Arizona is not really know for big climbs. For big walls most people think of El Capitan, Half Dome, Hulk... but every once in a while I get the same feeling in Arizona as I did at the base of El Capitan for the first time.
I just want to go up.

Once we reached the base of the wall we were in the shade and really nice temperatures for the rest of our day. After a "quick" tour from Matt it was time to get ready and get warmed up on a moderate. We decided to climb a pitch called "Chupacabra". It looked really fun and interesting. I got to be the first one up it and the whole time I was really enjoying the movements. Never too hard but hard enough to make you try and it was pretty techy. It was totally different from all other types of climbing I have done in Sedona. Great texture and awesome features!

Chupacabra!

Jack H. taking in the view.


After a couple of laps it was time to get on one of the "hard lines" at the wall. I was told that "R. Power Crack" would be an awesome line to get on when at the Great Wall so I was pretty psyched to give it a go. I had no real expectations and just really wanted to get up it. I did end up making it up but it sure beat on me. It was pretty tricky at the start and the upper section was just pure power and lots of it!! Complete underclinging laybacks with zero to zilch options for feet. Just a blank wall and a ton of body tension. It was so gooooddd!!!! It almost instantly gave me back my psyche. I was definitely worked and I felt crushed by it but it was humbling. I cannot wait to get back up there to work out some of the harder sections and hopefully get it clean by the Fall.





One other thing mentioned from all of my friends who have been to The Great Wall was...

Rattlesnakes!!

Not just a normal desert rattlesnake but a healthy and big rattlesnake. I had been warned from several friends to keep an eye out for snakes on the trail and at the base. So the entire time we had our eyes open, ears ready, and rattlesnake sticks in hand
I walked with two for a bit!. Getting a bite from a snake that size in the remote back country of Sedona could be a big problem and would turn a fun day into a rescue scenario. It was really important that we kept our safety a priority. So we kept ourselves aware at all times and luckily Matt saw/heard this one on the trail before stepping on it!

Lovin life at the top of the
great wall food chain.

After our run in with the snake Matt was fired up to get on his project. He had told me all about it and I was excited to see him trying it. It was a very impressive line that deserves the dedication and commitment Matt will put into it. I also got to try and climb it. It was the most futuristic, hard and inspiring line I have been on ever. Good luck Matt! I cant wait to get back up there.
The aptly named "Gladiator"

After a long hike out we were all pretty exhausted. I was feeling beat up by the hike and the climbing had simply exhausted my energy. It was a long day and at a few times miserable but I can not wait to trudge back up there. It feels good to have a little charge back in my motivation meter and even better to have new and formidable project.

Few extra shots:
Yeah gear. Weighing down my pack.

Jack on belay... yawning?!





Thanks Matt for the Photos.







No comments:

Post a Comment