Walk into the woods.

Keep walking. Walk off tracks. Do not plan where you are going. Take whatever directions appeal in the moment. Keep walking. When, without realizing you are lost, its then your adventure begins.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

San Fransisco Peaks

Chaco and I looking towards the setting Sun.

It had been quite some time since I last made the trek up Humphreys... I think almost 2 years?! I should be trying to run up there every week!!! It is sooo close to town and it oh man can it kick your butt!

It always humbles... I stare up there everyday and I even get caught convincing myself that it is not that big...but altitude always makes you earn it.

A friend gave me a good excuse to do a late afternoon siege to the false summit. I have been running a bit on some of the other areas on the Peaks so I was psyched to try and move as quickly as I could up the steep trail. We took our time on the way up to check out some of the scenery and to enjoy what our moist Summer has done for the Peaks.


The Peaks are full of life right now.
Refreshing and calm.

Jason B. and his "training weight"


At the top it was super windy and actually sort of chilly. I was glad that I carried up a wind and rain shell... kept me warm enough to hang out. It is amazing how chilly it can still be up there even though we are in a Arizona Summer.

Still some snow in the Basin.
Maybe we will have snow all year?!

Chaco and his friend enjoying their view
from the saddle.

After some rest and stretching it was time for the descent. I really wanted to make the whole trail down within an hour but I knew I was going to be racing the sunset. Unfortunately I waited to long at the saddle and had to slow my roll once it got really dark (I was reminded by rolling my ankle). It eventually got really dark on the trail in the trees. There was only a sliver of moon and the stars were useless in the trees but... I really enjoyed the darkness and loneliness of the trail.

It was awesome evening exercise either way!!

"When my legs begin to move, the thoughts begin to flow."
H.D. Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment